The Catering/Cafe Assistant is responsible for supporting the Morning Glory Cafe and Catering business through assisting in the preparation of catering order as well as providing delivery services of catering orders to as well as completing event set at a variety of locations. The Catering/Cafe Assistant is also required to support our cafe business through assisting in food preparation as well as customer service responsibilities. The Catering/Cafe Assistant is an integral part of our team in providing training, support and direction to our Youth Employment program participants.
Catering/Cafe Support Responsibilities:
- Prepares hot and cold food items for catering orders as directed in a sanitary and timely manner while minimizing waste.
- Follow recipe and presentation specifications as instructed.
- Implements proper safety and sanitation skills.
- Puts away food orders while practicing proper food rotation and labelling.
- Cleans, sanitizes and organizes the kitchen.
- Process customer orders in a timely and accurate manner including operating the cash register and processing cash and debit transactions.
- Brew coffee and prepare other beverages and food items as required.
- Stock all baked products, coffee station, and other front counter items.
- Communicate inventory needs for customer service area & kitchen area to supervisor for ordering.
- Implement proper cleaning, sanitation, and safety requirements.
- Provide training, support and supervision to participants and volunteers working with the Youth Employment program, under the direction of the Cafe Supervisor, and on your own
- Complete opening and closing duties of the cafe as requested by the Cafe Supervisor.
- Deliver catering orders, based on an assigned scheduled within required time frames.
- Drive to delivery address, deliver order and return to the cafe to pick up following orders.
- Follow a detailed schedule, such as making deliveries, picking up supplies, returning to pick up another delivery and so on, within a specified amount of time
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain professional image.
- Complete other duties in between deliveries, such as kitchen prep, delivery/order preparation, cleaning duties, setting up for events etc.
- Purchase supplies as outlined by supervisor, including carrying and returning cash and receipts for purchases.
- Pick up orders from suppliers as needed.
- Support the Catering/Cafe Supervisor in the coaching and training of Youth Employment Program participants as directed.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
In order to be successful in this position, candidates must uphold, support, and implement Ray of Hope’s Mission, Vision and Core Values in addition to the following competencies:
Compassionate Patient Communication
Integrity Adaptable Teamwork Customer/Client Focus
- Regular Hours: 24+ per week, Monday through Saturday during daytime
- Flexibility to cover large events, sick days, vacations and evenings/weekends is required
- Previous experience in catering and customer service required.
- Ability to drive for long periods of time and/or ability to make frequent stops
- Ability to manage lists/schedules
- Ability to communicate verbally with customers in a professional manner, and ability to read and comprehend lists/schedules
Knowledge of Kitchener/Waterloo area
- Police Records Check, including a screening with the vulnerable sector.
- Valid “G” Class Driver’s licence
- A reliable vehicle to get to our different facilities (will be paid mileage) considered an asset.
- Ministry of Transportation 3-Year Driving Record
- Must be bondable
- Dress Code: required to wear black dress pants, black shirt, and comfortable non-slip shoes
- Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time
- Mental effort required for driving, schedule management and working under pressure
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs, possibly for long distances and/or up/down stairs, with or without use of a cart.
- Occasional environmental exposures to cold, heat, and water.
- The Catering Assistant will be in contact with participants of the Youth Employment Program, some of which may have high needs and have barriers to employment.
Work at multiple locations within the same shift at times.